Recipe: Add aubergine for a colourful summer starter
We are all looking for new ideas to brighten up our summer salads and stir fries. You may not buy aubergines on a regular basis but, with two varieties to choose from, it’s a fun experiment for families. Try these fritters as a starter or a light lunch.
The Burpee Europe team always love it when they receive a new recipe devised for them by the chef Valerie Hamelin. The two varieties avaliable are White Knight or Green Knight (pictured). Roast, sautee or bake in the oven. The Green Knight is also an essential addition to many Asian recipes.
Aubergine Fritters Recipe
1 aubergine (eg ‘Green Knight’ or ‘White Knight’ from Burpee Europe)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ground coriander
¼ tsp chilli flakes
1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
50g plain flour
85gr gram flour ( chickpea flour)
230 ml cold water
½ tsp salt
Vegetable oil for deep frying
- In a bowl mix the flours, salt & spices and the cold water to form a smooth batter. Stir in the chilli flakes & the freshly chopped coriander. Set aside for 15 minutes
- Top & Tail the aubergines, slice into 1 cm rounds with a sprinkle of salt and set aside. Dry with kitchen roll.
- Heat the oil in a shallow pan, to check the temperature of the oil drop a piece of bread and see if it quickly rises to the surface, which means the oil is at temperature.
- Whisk the batter gently, the batter is now ready to fry the aubergines. Dip each slice in the batter and ensure both sides are well coated and gently drop them in the oil.
- Cook the fritters for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- Once golden brown, drain with a slotted spoon onto kitchen paper to remove the excess oil.
Serve the fritters hot with refreshing mint & cucumber yoghurt dip. Just add a glass of Sauvignon Blanc for a sensational summer treat.
Powered by Facebook Comments