It ain’t easy being green
RECIPE: courgette fritters
Ingredients (serves two)
- 120g courgette, grated
- 1 large egg
- 50g frozen peas
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Salt and pepper to season
- vegetable oil for frying
- Season the courgette with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the egg, baking powder and flour in a bowl.
- Squeeze any excess water out of the courgette and then add the courgette and the peas to the batter in the bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large frying pan and when hot, drop in heaped tablespoons of the courgette mixture.
- Use the back of a spoon to flatten the fritter into the pan.
- Fry each fritter for 1-2 minutes, until golden brown on each side.
- Remove the fritters from the pan and serve.
Alasdair added: “This recipe is perfect for using up any abundance of courgette from the garden. And works well served with mango chutney or soured cream on the side.
“Courgettes are at their best when they around 10cm and this is the ideal time to pick them. If you leave them to grow any longer, they tend to lose flavour and texture.”
Haskins has centres in Ferndown in Dorset, West End in Southampton and Roundstone and Snowhill in West Sussex. For more information visit www.haskins.co.uk
Powered by Facebook Comments