Recipe: Vegan chocolate mousse
Who says you can’t enjoy comfort food if you are a vegan? This delectable mousse recipe is ideal for a lazy summer staycation.
See for more information:
VEGAN CHOCOLATE OLIVE OIL MOUSSE
100g/3.5oz 55% chocolate, in discs or broken into small pieces
30ml/1fl oz extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
2 tablespoons brandy
160ml aquafaba (drained liquid from 1 x 450g tin of chickpeas)
- Set up a double boiler by quarter-filling a saucepan with water and bringing to the boil. Once at a running boil, place chocolate in a bowl and place on top of saucepan. The water must not touch the bottom of the bowl or the chocolate will overheat.
- Turn down to a simmer and stir the chocolate occasionally. This helps spread the heat throughout and ensures that the chocolate is smooth.
- Once melted, remove bowl off heat. Slowly beat the olive oil into the melted chocolate mixture, making sure that the chocolate and olive oil mix well.
- Beat in the brandy.
- In a separate bowl, beat the aquafaba until stiff peaks form.
- Take about one quarter of the stiffly beaten aquafaba and lightly combine with the chocolate mixture. Then pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl of aquafaba and, using a large metal spoon, gently fold the two together. Use a cutting and folding movement to combine the two. Do NOT over mix as this will push out the air that keeps the mousse light.
- Once the chocolate mixture is even in colour, divide the mix between 6 small ramekins. This is a rich pudding so do small portions.
- Place the ramekins in the fridge and leave to chill until set. Depending on how cold the fridge is, this could range from 30 to 60 minutes.
Powered by Facebook Comments